The goal of our health office is to aid in the health and wellness of your child, by making sure students are current with their vaccinations, are compliant with our illness policies, and to keep your student at school and learning when possible.
The health offices at our Great Hearts Academies are staffed by Health Assistants and Registered Nurses. In the event that the school health professional is not present, trained personnel will be delegated to administer medications and respond to medical emergencies.
- Parents should notify the school nurse of any changes that arise throughout the school year regarding changes of the child’s health status such as: a new diagnosis; new medications given at home; surgery or hospitalizations; fractures or injuries; or communicable diseases in the child or immediate family.
- The state requires certain communicable diseases to be reported by the school to provide community assistance if necessary.
- Vaccinations: The State of Arizona requires that certain vaccinations be given in order to attend school. Your students immunizations will be monitored yearly for compliance. Below are the Immunization Requirements. Please contact the Health Office with any questions.
A child who is sick will not be able to perform well in school and is likely to spread the illness to other children and staff. We suggest making a plan for childcare ahead of time so you will not be caught without a comforting place for your child to stay if they are ill.
If your child has any of the following symptoms, please keep your child home:
When Must A Child Be At Home?
Temperature of 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit or higher and the student must be fever free, without the aid of fever reducing medication, for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Sore throat
If with a fever or swollen neck glands. If student has a positive strep test they may return to school after 24 hours of antibiotics.
Thick mucus or pus draining from the eye or pink eye. With pink eye you may see white or yellow discharge, matted eyelids after sleep, eye pain, redness or itching. Your child must receive 24 hours of antibiotics before returning to school.
- Persistent cough
A persistent, moist, productive cough, chest congestion, and/or nasal discharge that are not clear in color may be contagious and require treatment and rest at home.
Students with vomiting and/or diarrhea will not be able to attend school. They will not be able to remain at school and/or return to school for 24 hours if they are experiencing these symptoms.
Students may not return to school until they have been treated for infestation and are free of live lice. A visual inspection of the hair by school personnel is required prior to re-admittance. Inspection will be done privately and with respect.
Our health office stocks common over-the-counter (OTC) medications, they will be administered if we have parental consent, and the nurse has determined necessity of the medication. During enrollment consent for these medications was asked. If you filled out these items during the yearly enrollment process you do not need to fill out a paper copy. If there are any changes to your consent please contact the health office, or fill out our medication consent form.
We stock the following over-the-counter medications:
- Cough Drops
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Saline Eye Drops
If you wish for your child to receive any other OTC medications please bring them into the health office in the original packaging. (OTC medication donations are always appreciated!) Prescription medications will be administered according to the physicians order and must be in the original prescription bottle. Prescription medications must be brought in by the parent.
- Health Policy COVID-19 Guidelines for Students and Staff
- COVID-19 Incident Response Guidelines
- Great Hearts Medical Information and Consent to Dispense Medications
- Great Hearts Health Services Manual
- Great Hearts Head Lice Policy
- Great Hearts Food Allergy Action Plan
- Great Hearts Asthma Management Plan
- Migraine Healthcare Plan
- Seizure Action Plan